Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Bioconjugates
Are you looking for a role with impact?
Magenta Therapeutics is a company dedicated to addressing significant needs across all aspects of transplant medicine with a culture fueled by an amazing, passionate group of people committed to the idea of “patients first” and making a difference.
We started with an idea— Significant needs remain for patients living with autoimmune diseases, blood cancers, and rare genetic diseases. Bone marrow transplant is a potential cure for many, but its high risks, toxic side effects and complexity prevent many patients from being able to benefit. Magenta is working comprehensively to change the transplant journey for patients.
By pioneering an innovative portfolio of novel therapeutics designed to make the entire bone marrow transplant process more effective, safer and easier, we aim to unleash the full potential of bone marrow transplant for those living with a wide array of conditions such as multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, inherited metabolic diseases, and sickle cell disease.
The people at Magenta are at the very core of our progress in pursuing this vision. Our roles don’t dictate our daily activities – every employee is empowered to make an impact, seize opportunity and to develop skills and expertise.
The biotherapeutics group at Magenta Therapeutics is seeking a highly-motivated individual experienced in bioconjugation, purification and characterization of antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs). The successful candidate will play an integral role in the discovery and development of transformative biotherapeutics for hematopoietic stem cell transplant. The individual will be responsible for bioconjugation activities to produce novel ADCs.
In this role, the incumbent will have opportunities to explore selection and optimization of therapeutic antibodies and developability of candidates. This position requires a strong work ethic, excellent written/verbal skills, and the ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary project teams.
You are perfect for this role if you are engaged by and want to be responsible for:
- Conjugation, purification and characterization of antibody-drug conjugates prepared using cysteine-reactive chemistry
- Synthesis, purification and characterization of ADCs on research scales (0.5 – 15 mg) and medium scales (10 – 50 mg)
- Developing high-throughput conjugation methods.
We would be thrilled if you brought the following with you:
- BS or MS with 3+ years of experience with a strong background in chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or biochemical/chemical engineering
- Previous experience in bioconjugation methods (lysine, inter-chain cysteine and/or site-specific cysteine) is required
- Experience in antibody/antibody-drug conjugate purification methods (gel filtration, affinity, ion exchange, SEC) is desired.
- Candidates with good working knowledge in analytical techniques including HIC-, SEC-, RP-HPLC and capillary electrophoresis for antibody and/or ADC characterization are preferred.
- Interest in binding assays (eg. ForteBio Octet, Biacore, ELISA, flow cytometry) for antibody-drug conjugate characterization would be a plus.
To be successful as a leader and contributor within Magenta, you must be:
- Driven. You will be focused on the achievement of Magenta’s mission and major corporate goals.
- Results-focused. Demonstrated record of exceeding stretch goals, and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way
- Entrepreneurial. You will enjoy learning and being involved in the content of our whole business, thriving on a very fast-paced and growing business
- Intuitive. You will have a demonstrated ability to work in the “gray zone” and anticipate challenges before they arise
- A proven cross-functional leader.You will have demonstrated the ability to “influence without authority,” build teams, and achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures
- Process-oriented, yet flexible. You will appreciate and be able to create and drive process, and at the same time recognize when rules are meant to be bent
- Transparent and Articulate.You will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders
- Enterprise-focused and Business-savvy.You will always seek to put the goals of the company first, and help others understand the tradeoffs we need to make across the business. You’ll also be interested in new business development opportunities, being able to bring those to the attention of the right teams at Magenta and able to support those activities as requested
- Independent. You will be able to self-organize and operate effectively without significant day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the company
- A role model for the company’s cultural pillars; Courage Commitment & Excellence