Scientist I / II (Analytical Development)
Are you looking for a role with impact?
Magenta Therapeutics is a company dedicated to addressing significant needs across all aspects of transplant medicine with a culture fueled by an amazing, passionate group of people committed to the idea of “patients first” and making a difference. We started with an idea— Significant needs remain for patients living with autoimmune diseases, blood cancers, and rare genetic diseases. Bone marrow transplant is a potential cure for many, but its high risks, toxic side effects and complexity prevent many patients from being able to benefit. Magenta is working comprehensively to change the transplant journey for patients. By pioneering an innovative portfolio of novel therapeutics designed to make the entire bone marrow transplant process more effective, safer and easier, we aim to unleash the full potential of bone marrow transplant for those living with a wide array of conditions such as multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, inherited metabolic diseases, and sickle cell disease.
The people at Magenta are at the very core of our progress in pursuing this vision. Our roles don’t dictate our daily activities – every employee is empowered to make an impact, seize opportunity and to develop skills and expertise.
The qualified candidate will be supporting Magenta’s pipeline comprising antibodies and antibody drug conjugates by establishing and running its mass spectrometric and other biophysical capabilities. This is an exciting role for someone who enjoys supporting transition of preclinical development of biotherapeutics into clinical development. This person will be responsible for developing mass spectrometry methods and transferring them to Magenta’s manufacturing partners. This role will provide an opportunity to work cross-functionally and represent a highly integrated biotherapeutics development team at Magenta.
You are perfect for this role if you are engaged by and want to be responsible for:
- Routinely runs characterization studies using high resolution LC-MS and relevant biophysical techniques
- Develops suitable analytical methods to support development of antibodies and ADCs towards IND enabling studies
- Supports other relevant functions such as formulation development, stability studies, method qualification, process and manufacturing sciences
- Works with biotherapeutics development team to establish CQAs/PQAs for reference standard, drug substance and drug product
- Develops and transfers LC-MS methods to CROs/CDMOs at various stages of drug development
- Independently plans, screens and runs experiments without extensive supervision
- Works as a team player and effectively collaborates with quality, regulatory, and program management groups to facilitate timelines critical for regulatory filings
- Authors and reviews relevant sections of CMC sections, technical reports and technology transfer documents
- Serves as an integral member of biotherapeutics development team and presents results in a coherent manner
We would be thrilled if you brought the following with you:
- PhD in chemistry, biophysics, biochemistry or related discipline with a strong exposure in characterization of biotherapeutics such as antibodies, antibody drug conjugates (ADCs) and bispecific antibodies. 1-3 years of industry experience (PhD) or 5-8 years (MS) is required
- Expertise in characterization, analytical development, protein biochemistry, biophysics, stability studies and metabolite quantifications of antibodies and ADCs is a plus
- Proficiency and troubleshooting experience in LC-MS enabled large molecule characterization using instruments from multiple sources like Waters, Agilent, and Sciex
- Experience with intact mass analysis, peptide mapping and glycan profiling using state of the art mass spectrometry (QTOF, MS/MS) is essential
- Hands-on experience with other relevant analytical techniques such as DSF/DSC, CE-SDS/IEF, DLS/MALS, AUC, light scattering, glycan profiling, particle analysis is desirable
- Experience in developing and qualifying methods for pre-clinical and GMP lot release will be favorably considered
- Must have a solid understanding of evolution of analytical development principles from discovery to IND enabling studies
- Must be hardworking, team player, and detail oriented with enthusiasm to develop biotherapeutics for clinical development
To be successful as a leader and contributor within Magenta, you must be:
- Driven. You will be focused on the achievement of Magenta’s mission and major corporate goals.
- Results-focused. Demonstrated record of exceeding stretch goals, and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way.
- Entrepreneurial. You will enjoy learning and being involved in the content of our whole business, thriving on a very fast-paced and growing business.
- Intuitive. You will have a demonstrated ability to work in the “gray zone” and anticipate challenges before they arise.
- A proven cross-functional leader. You will have demonstrated the ability to “influence without authority,” build teams, and achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures.
- Process-oriented, yet flexible. You will appreciate and be able to create and drive process, and at the same time recognize when rules are meant to be bent.
- Transparent and Articulate. You will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders.
- Enterprise-focused and Business-savvy. You will always seek to put the goals of the company first, and help others understand the tradeoffs we need to make across the business. You’ll also be interested in new business development opportunities, being able to bring those to the attention of the right teams at Magenta and able to support those activities as requested.
- Independent. You will be able to self-organize and operate effectively without significant day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the company.
- A role model for the company’s cultural pillars; Courage Commitment & Excellence