Senior Medical Director
Are you looking for a role with impact?
Magenta Therapeutics is a company dedicated to addressing significant needs across all aspects of transplant medicine with a culture fueled by an amazing, passionate group of people committed to the idea of “patients first” and making a difference. We started with an idea— Significant needs remain for patients living with autoimmune diseases, blood cancers, and rare genetic diseases. Bone marrow transplant is a potential cure for many, but its high risks, toxic side effects and complexity prevent many patients from being able to benefit. Magenta is working comprehensively to change the transplant journey for patients. By pioneering an innovative portfolio of novel therapeutics designed to make the entire bone marrow transplant process more effective, safer and easier, we aim to unleash the full potential of bone marrow transplant for those living with a wide array of conditions such as multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, inherited metabolic diseases, and sickle cell disease.
The people at Magenta are at the very core of our progress in pursuing this vision. Our roles don’t dictate our daily activities – every employee is empowered to make an impact, seize opportunity and to develop skills and expertise.
Magenta Therapeutics is seeking a creative translational medicine expert to develop and execute the clinical development plans for the company. This key position with be responsible for evaluating the current Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation landscape and building the translational science strategy for Magenta’s novel drug development programs. The successful candidate will identify and develop relationships with key opinion leaders, patient advocacy groups, academic institutes and hospitals to integrate novel advances in transplantation research into the drug development process and clinic.
You are perfect for this role if you are engaged by and want to be responsible for:
- Lead the clinical development strategy and be accountable for the execution of the translational medicine effort within the company
- Collaborate closely with internal research team to integrate translational research into development and clinical strategies
- Develop and maintain relationships and serve as the main medical liaison with key opinion leaders and Principal Investigators
- Lead internal and external team members, vendors and consultants to develop an IND package, as well as review and evaluate pre-clinical safety data for regulatory submission
- Be responsible for the clinical content of all clinical and regulatory documents, including protocols, INDs, CTAs, investigator brochures, CRF’s, annual IND reports, CSR’s, ISS’s, ISE’s, and clinical expert reports
- Organize and present at relevant clinical advisory boards, DMC’s and medical/scientific meetings
- Support the business development process by providing medical expertise for in- or out-licensing, partnering and acquisition activities
- Travel, as needed, nationally and internationally
We would be thrilled if you brought the following with you:
- MD with research experience or an MD / PhD, as well as a fellowship in Hematology/ Oncology or related areas
- Several years of clinical experience in stem cell transplantation within academic medical, pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology sectors
- Extensive experience in translational or clinical research related to drug development is required: biotech/ pharma experience favorably considered
- Experience with developing regulatory strategy, including experience with IND-enabling, Phase I and Phase II studies preferred
- Broad therapeutic area and target class expertise and experience in one of the following; Hematology/ Oncology, Auto-immunity and/ or Hematological Rare Genetic Diseases
- Ability to identify and build relationships with thought leaders and leading clinical centers
- Strong academic record with high quality peer-reviewed publications that demonstrate research productivity and the ability to perform cutting edge research in stem cell biology/transplantation and/or gene therapy
- Effective communications (verbal & written) and presentation skills are essential
- Track record of effective cross-collaboration within an organization, among teams, and external groups/organizations
- Management experience of direct reports is preferred
To be successful as a leader and contributor within Magenta, you must be:
- Driven. You will be focused on the achievement of Magenta’s mission and major corporate goals.
- Results-focused. Demonstrated record of exceeding stretch goals, and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way.
- Entrepreneurial. You will enjoy learning and being involved in the content of our whole business, thriving on a very fast-paced and growing business.
- Intuitive. You will have a demonstrated ability to work in the “gray zone” and anticipate challenges before they arise.
- A proven cross-functional leader. You will have demonstrated the ability to “influence without authority,” build teams, and achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures.
- Process-oriented, yet flexible. You will appreciate and be able to create and drive process, and at the same time recognize when rules are meant to be bent.
- Transparent and Articulate. You will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders.
- Enterprise-focused and Business-savvy. You will always seek to put the goals of the company first, and help others understand the tradeoffs we need to make across the business. You’ll also be interested in new business development opportunities, being able to bring those to the attention of the right teams at Magenta and able to support those activities as requested.
- Independent. You will be able to self-organize and operate effectively without significant day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the company.
- A role model for the company’s cultural pillars; Courage Commitment & Excellence